Q. How do I setup Chromecast?
A. For plug-in dongles follow the instructions here: https://support.google.com/chromecast
Q. What Chromecast products are supported by Crave?
A. We currently support the following:
- 1st, 2nd, 3rd Generation plug-in dongles (rectangular and round)
- Chromecast Ultra
- Built-in cast apps on Smart TVs are supported
Q. How do I cast video?
- A. Via Chrome browser: To start casting visit Crave.ca using the latest version of the Chrome browser on your Windows or Apple computer. Sign in to your account and select a video to watch. Once it begins playing select the cast icon in the video player and choose your cast device to start streaming.
- B. Via Android or iOS App: To start casting, ensure you have the latest Crave app installed on your device by visiting the Google Play or Apple store to check for updates. Open the app, tap the cast icon located in the top right corner of the app and connect to your cast device. Select a video to start streaming.
Q. I am experiencing buffering issues during video playback. How do I fix this?
*Note users with 1st and 2nd Generation dongles may experience more buffering and video playback issues.
- Unplug your Chromecast dongle from power source for 1 minute.
- Chromecast 1st Generation dongle only works on a 2.4GHz wireless network, whereas Chromecast 2nd Generation and above will work on both 2.4 and 5GHz. If your router is capable of broadcasting both, make sure your Chromecast 1st Generation is connected to the 2.4GHz network.
- Stop other concurrent streams while watching videos on Chromecast.
- Ensure your Chromecast is updated: https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/7124014?hl=en-CA&ref_topic=3447927#
- If the above steps do not help, perform a Factory Data Reset by holding down the button on the Chromecast for at least 25 seconds, or until the solid LED light begins flashing on the Chromecast device and the TV goes blank and begins the reboot sequence: https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6254654?hl=en-CA
Android TV users with built-in casting:
- If the video freezes, restart using the TV menu. Under the Settings category, select Settings. Select About. Select Restart. Check if the issue is resolved.
- Ensure the built-in cast app is updated by following these steps: https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/7438776?hl=en-CA
Sony TV users with built-in casting:
- Ensure the built-in cast app is updated by following these steps: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00114152
Common troubleshooting tips:
I see a black screen or no signal: https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6345122?hl=en-CA&ref_topic=3447927
Mobile Data usage while Guest Casting
*Note - Casting to Chromecast as a guest will result in your mobile phone prioritizing mobile data over wifi. Mobile data may be used during this action.
Learn more about Guest Casting here.